Friday, January 23, 2015

Everybody say it with me.....T.G.I.F!!  Another week down and another week closer to SUMMER....it seems that the older I get, the more I cannot stand the cold weather.  I used to love it, now I long for sunny and 90 degrees.  Because my husband and I are longing for summer, I thought I would share with you our Mussels and Chicken Caesar Salad Dinner with homemade dressing.....just make sure that you have nowhere to go after you eat it because it is loaded with yummy garlic.....I can't even stand the smell of myself after I eat these dishes.....

The Mussels

First, let me tell you how much my husband LOVES this cast iron skillet.  It is, by far, his favorite pan.

Here are the steps on making the best mussels you will ever have!!

  1. Put about a tsp of oil, olive, canola, whatever you have, in the pan and let it get warm.
  2. Throw the mussels in (we rinsed them in cold water after we bought them).
  3. Sprinkle with minced garlic (use the jar kind, saves time!), salt and pepper 
  4. Sprinkle with Bookbinders.
  5. Let the mussels open up and then pour about a half can of beer in the pan and put a lid on, let the mussels steam for a few minutes.
  6. Serve!

I prefer this over Old Bay, I think it has less of a celery seed taste and it has a more mild flavor.  Now, lets get the Caesar Salad going.

The dressing really makes this salad.  Make sure you get out your food processor.  

The Chicken Caesar Salad


When we make this dressing, we never really measure anything, we just dump it all in to taste.  The only thing we measure is the egg.  
  1. Put four egg yolks (save the whites for another use) in the food processor
  2. Put in some lemon juice, white wine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard and the anchovy paste.  We used to use anchovies but we never used all the ones in the tin and ended up throwing some away, so my husband found this anchovy paste in a tube so we weren't wasting anything.  
  3. Blend this together in the food processor.  Once this is going, start pouring in some oil until it is combined together.  
  4. Then add the grated parmesan cheese (not the powdery kind) and salt and pepper.
This dressing is very thick.  You can always add a little more oil, but it doesn't get runny like bottled dressings do.  Just keep tasting it until you get the flavor you like.  Some people like less anchovies than we do, so it's really up to you.

It should look like this.....


We put it in a plastic baggie and cut a very small hole in the bottom and we are able to get more coverage that way instead of just dumping it on the romaine.  Works like a charm.

After you have cut up all your grilled chicken.....(some were just salted and peppered, others had Montreal Chicken on it.  I prefer it plain with salt and pepper).....

Washed and cut up your romaine lettuce......put the romaine into a big bowl, add the dressing and toss.  Throw in the chicken, the croutons and extra parmesan cheese.  


Summer on a PLATE!!

Let me know if you try this salad dressing or the mussels.  Leave a comment below and let me know if you like it!!  Thanks for hanging with me this afternoon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment